Consistency is paramount when presenting your brand, products and services to your customers and in the language industry, it is a primary element of quality. This element is managed through terminology. Terminology is at the core of the translation process and is the foundation of any successful project. Proper terminology management is critical to maintaining top-quality throughout a translation project and ensuring that the right message is being transmitted in each language you are translating into. Having a well-defined, proper terminology list and pro-active continuous management of it saves time and money by reducing the number of review cycles, ensuring constancy, boosting efficiency.
Standardized terminology has many benefits:
- Reduce errors during content creation process or translation
- Improve consistency across all corporate communication
- Strengthen the value of the brand and associated intellectual property
- Provide definitions of proprietary company terms and acronyms to clarify
- Increase efficiency in the authoring and translation process by dramatically reducing review time
- Improve B2B and B2C communication by making your terminology available to vendors
The need to maintain a global brand image has never been more important as companies reach out to international markets, and establishing a standard for corporate communication with certain vocabulary, and become more global and the need to brand image to stay uniform more prevalent.
Janus offers a range of services related to terminology management:
- Organization of content corpus and existing language assets to formulate terminology plan of attack
- Creation of glossaries from automated extraction tools or our trained terminologists
- Consultation about using standardized or “generic” glossaries in conjunction with proprietary ones
- Translation and review of source language terms (and definitions)
- Review of legacy translations to ensure terminological consistency and accuracy
- Web-based collaboration between our linguists and terminologists and our client’s terminology representative(s)
- Development of a customized terminology solution and internal process for your organization
The Janus Solution
- Identify needs and gather information
- Glossary Creation (and review of existing assets)
- Term extraction
- Translation. This may also include usage rules, examples, antonyms and other style-related information
- Maintenance during the project
- Usage of approved terminology with language CAT tools
- Post translation
- New term validation
- Legacy material and translation memory clean-up
- Glossary accessibility for client update and review via web-based interface
TermCheck: a terminology verification tool
Janus maintains proprietary tool for verification of terminology correctness in bilingual translated materials. It is available free of charge as a desktop application.
Click here for more information or download.